We did it

We finally moved house on 26th April 2018

The home office is almost set up now, and ready for more retro computer exploits!


Quick update

Its been a while since I posted anything.

The reason? Buying a new house.

New house found in October 2017 and sale of our existing house began.


5 months later and we still haven’t moved house. – We are so close, but no cigar.

We hope to move this coming Wednesday (7th March 2018) – But I am not holding my breath.

So many delays while paper work was requested, then items got lost, then surveys expired and had to be re-done…



So .. I bought an Atari STfm case and keyboard off Facebook, with the sole purpose of creating a frankenSTEin machine!

Raspberry Pi 3
Atari ST keyboard and case
Internal 128GB SSD Hard Drive
Port extenders to reach the edge of the case
Atari Mouse converted to USB and optical

The project is coming along nicely .. I have all the components secured to the bottom of the case and its all working lovely with Pixel OS and Hatari emulator

I am thinking of using this machine as my main system as I currently only do Amazon Echo Skill development, Facebook and web browsing so it should be good enough

There is a Windows 10 laptop at my disposal for when I want to do YOUTUBE video editing and REASON music creation, so all is not lost! 🙂

Buy Bye Amiga

The Amiga A500+ has been sold. It had to go as I didn’t use it and have realised that I need to start using the retro kit that I already own, rather than keep buying stuff and keeping it boxed away.

So …

The Atari STe is out on the desk, ready to be brutally used as much as I can.


The DK’Tronics keyboard arrived at the end of November ’16.

It took a lot of cleaning and fixing to get to a working state! 😦

So .. Now it houses a 48K Spectrum + replete with reset button.

The only key that does not function properly is the . key on the keypad. This could be down to a bad contact, although I have cleaned everyone with switch cleaner spray.

I may bite the bullet and fit a toggle switch to change from a full stop to a comma for data entry.

More Speccy Goodness

Last night I found a post on the Retro Computer sales forum on facebook for an item that I used to own back in 1984.

A DKTronics keyboard upgrade for the ZX Spectrum.

These are currently hard to come by, so I jumped at the chance to make an offer, and we came to a sensible agreement.

It should be winding its merry way to me as we speak.

Keep watching for pics and a report of the working state of it (It was sold as untested!)

More Atari STe goodness

The Atari 520 STe I received in the recent epic haul has been upgraded to 4MB – a full compliment of SIMMs have been inserted. It does not make it any faster (Its only Windows that needs more RAM to work faster!)

I have also added an external Protar Progate II 40Mb hard drive with built in ICD controller. It also has an additional 230MB SCSI HDD as drive 2.

The thing boots in no time and allows STOS and other apps to run almost instantly.

On the down side, it squeals like a little piggie, due to its age. I think the drive bearings are on their way out! – Must keep an eye on those.

Pictures to follow!

More Goodness

It takes a while to acquire good stuff.

Recently I have received an Amiga A500 Plus. This came boxed, but without power supply.
I had to wait a whole 3 days to test it, while the new PSU arrived. It does actually work and I can play all the discs that came with it! 🙂

Its a good machine, better than the A600 as the A500+ has the ECS chipset and a whole 1MB ram with a battery backed clock.

The battery on the main board was about to explode, so a swift wipe with the soldering iron allowed it to be replaced with a brand new one thanks to amigakit!

I worthy addition to my collection.

Epic Haul

Like busses, nothing comes along for ages, then loads all at once!


So last night, 08/09/2016 I collected ‘some’ retro bits from a guy who works at the same Local Authority as I do.

Minimal cost, for maximum retro joy! – There is just so much for me to go through – I am sure I won’t be able to find room for it all.

BBC Micro Model B Issue 3 – With Turbo MMC and 12 Rom Card

Acorn Electron – Dead as a DODO! – Sold to an Acorn collector

CBM 64 – With CF Card – Sold to a collector

ZX81 – Untested, No PSU – I have found a PSU and tested. It lives, but has the dreaded video roll!

Vic 20 – Untested, No PSU – This has been sold to a CBM collector

Ericsson MC12 – Dead – No PSU to test – UPDATE: The internal battery contacts were corroded. These have now been sanded back down to the base metal and the device lives!
Sinclair 48K+ – Mint condition with SDCard interface and Joystick – Case sold to a collector. Mainboard and PSU kept for my own use

Atari 65XE – CF Card and joystick – Sold to an Atari collector

Amiga A600 with internal CF Card and Joystick – Sold to an Amiga collector

Sanyo MSX MPC-100  – Sold to the MSX user group Helsinki, Finland

Atari 520STe – Kept, upgraded and used every few weeks

Sega Mega Drive – Unusual blood red model with modded switch and Multi load cart. – Not being a gamer, I have traded this for more kit, that has since been sold to various people!

I have also enquired with the same source about any other stuff that might be available, so keep coming back to the blog for future updates!



New Old Kit

Recent items I have acquired as of July 2016;

Iomega external USB floppy drive with over 100 blank floppy disks (3.5″ 1.44mb)

2 x Dell Axim X30 Windows Mobile 2003 SE Hand Held PDAs with Wifi
1 x Dell Axim X30 Windows Mobile 2003 SE Hand Held PDA without Wifi

Vintage cassette player for my Speccy (This works but does not seem to output any sound) – Needs a good service I think.

Vintage Nokia business phone – 6310i Lightening with charger – This is almost unused and looks new. The ultimate bullet proof phone – These things never die!